After the success of their middle-grade festival day, A Midsummer Mystery, independent booksellers Storytellers, Inc. are bringing another exciting day of themed author events to St. Annes.
One week before Valentine’s Day they’re inviting teens (and their parents!) to an afternoon of events that celebrate friendship, feminism and frankly brilliant books. This empowering afternoon is sure to pass the Bechdel test with a fantastic line-up of current teen/YA authors and a varied programme of activities including:
- Mini TED-style talks on feminism topics
- Panel discussion and interviews
- Girl power games, a team quiz and Spinster bingo
- Book-signings and hang-outs
It’s a love letter to friendship so instead of shopping for Valentines, spend the day with your Mum and your pals breaking stereotypes and breaking out the biscuits. Storytellers, Inc. have a host of top teen/YA author talent to guide you through hot topics, big issues, fabulous fiction and general fun and banter.
The programme will include events for the entire audiences as well as splinter sessions with ‘NO PARENTS ALLOWED’ and ‘JUST FOR PARENTS’ break-out groups. Crossover audiences are also welcome.
The compere for the afternoon will be the incomparable Holly Bourne, author of Am I Normal Yet?, The Manifesto on How to be Interesting and Soulmates. Holly is using her #Normal trilogy to challenge stereotypes, deal with real teen issues and tackle feminism in a fun, fresh and accessible way.
Her characters have reclaimed the word ‘Spinster’ to mean:
- You look after your girlfriends and support them through whatever they need
- You value your friendships as much as your relationships
- You don’t alter who you are, what you believe in, and what you want just to please The Man
- You aren’t afraid to look at society and saying ‘I don’t agree with this, this is wrong’ and
- You don’t worry that people won’t think you’re cute or sexy for saying those things
Being a Spinster means being YOUNG (in spirit!), INDEPENDENT and STRONG; being a spinster is a state of mind (not your marital status) and we think that’s something worth celebrating.
Holly is joined by:
- Non Pratt author Trouble and Remix
- Natasha Farrant author of The Bluebell Gadsby Series and The Things We Did For Love
- Sara Barnard author of Beautiful Broken Things
- Jenny Mclachlan author of Sunkissed and Flirty Dancing
- Keris Stainton author of Counting Stars and Della Says : OMG
Tickets are on sale now, cost £10 and can be reserved online via email and Paypal to [email protected] or at the shop, Storytellers, Inc. 7 The Crescent, St. Annes on Sea, Lancashire FY8 1SN 01253 781690
Show Comments (0)